Is there a difference between an OUI vs DUI vs DWI?

In NH, most people refer to a drunk driving charge as a DWI or DUI.  DWI stands for Driving While Under the Influence of alcohol or drugs, and a DUI typically stands for Driving Under the Influence.  In MA, a drunk driving offense is commonly referred to as an OUI, rather than a DWI or DUI.  An OUI stands for Operating Under the Influence.  Although the name is slightly different from state to state, for the most part, when you are considering the differences between an OUI vs DUI vs DWI, they essentially stand for the same type of charge.  However, there are differences in the laws from state to state, even if they’re slight, which can have a significant impact on your case.

What are some of the differences between a OUI vs DUI vs DWI?

In NH there is no such thing as a hardship license (also known as a work, restricted, 7 to 7, or Cinderella license) for a drunk driving charge, but in Massachusetts there is.  Some of the laws regarding what constitutes a drunk driving offense, and what evidence can be used against you at trial, are also tougher in New Hampshire then in Massachusetts.  Because of the differences between drunk driving laws, if you are a resident of one state, but get a drunk driving charge in another, it’s important to speak to an attorney familiar with the laws relevant for your particular state.  A drunk driving lawyer will be able to properly explain your rights and options.

Call for a Free Consultation.  603-836-6715